Speed Trap Hunter Forum: Best Radar Detectors, Laser Jammers, Laser Detectors, Speed Cameras Forum  

Go Back   Speed Trap Hunter Forum: Best Radar Detectors, Laser Jammers, Laser Detectors, Speed Cameras Forum > Best Radar Detector Reviews > Veil Guy
Radar Detectors Forum Logon:


Veil Guy Over the years, the Veil Guy has pioneered a unique reviewing style of radar detectors, laser jammers, gps detectors, Veil, and other speed trap countermeasures. He drives extensive miles throughout North America, pitting these countermeasures against genuine speed traps to determine the real-world potential of each of the products tested. While his unique style has been imitated, it's never been equaled. The Veil Guy has used radar detectors for nearly three decades and his experiences should be considered before making an informed radar detector or other countermeasure purchase. The opinions expressed by the Veil Guy are solely his own and not necessarily representative of speedtraphunter.net.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 173.67.17.38
Old 2009-01-08
RADARB8 RADARB8 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 2008 Dec
Location: ss gestapo-land>>HOWARD CO. Md.
Posts: 5
RADARB8 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation mounting blinder & front bra

I received my m-25 blinder and i think the instructions really are not the best. I made copies of the blinder support pages and when u try to read the wiring diagram it is blurry. if u try to make it larger it just get blurrier.
Anyway i have been using the search tab to find out about 2 things: first is there any reason why on my Z06 C5 vette i have to use the brackets and drill the 8 holes in my air duct system when it seems [ if i have them level and distanced properly ] commercial VELCRO should work fine!! a 1 1/2 by
3 1/2'' piece is very tacky. Also i searched for front bra and found nothing! Would a front thick black CALGON bra with plastic license cover help in any way to resist a laser hit. My vehicle as u might know is fiberglass. it is glossy black and very streamlined. If anyone has any good info. on the velcro and bra please chime in! thanks much Greg O.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 129.22.226.41
Old 2009-01-09
TSi+WRX TSi+WRX is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 2008 Sep
Location: Cleveland/Shaker Heights, Ohio, USA
Posts: 44
TSi+WRX is on a distinguished road
Default

The C5 should be very nicely "stealth profiled," as long as you don't have your iceburg headlights up. You really shouldn't need a bra.

Certainly, a front plate would cause a tremendous PT concern, but I don't imagine that you have one?

If you are really concerned about things, go a step farther, and VEIL the exposed front-end lighting elements.

With the Blinder heads, 3M Automotive Trim/Molding tape will effectively hold them "permanently" (while still allowing for fully residue-free release, at a later date, if-desired, with no damage to the vehicle finish, provided that the vehicle finish in the mounted area and immediate surroundings were not damaged at or before the time of application, to begin with). Pay good attention to initial prep (cleaning the area, as well as with proper consideration for surface temperatures), and you'll be fine.

Shimming the heads can be achieved with any number of different methods, and is limited only by your imagination.

Remember to get the heads as level and square as you possibly can - obsession here really counts.


TSi+WRX's Sig:- Allen/Usual Suspect "DumboRAT"/One of the Three Stooges

LI Rev.2.8, Ver.7.03 - quad 8.0A-f w/ 8.5 Slim-r
LPP v8.3h(CAN/AU)/10.1s, 2xF/1xR
9500i, Red (4307) w/ZR3
VEIL G4
CR8APL8s, w/LaserShield(F)
Cheetah GPS-Mirror

[ Wifey's FXT -> Bue 8500x50 (Rev.5); LI Rev.2.9, Ver.7.08 - dual 8.5 ]

Me: '05 Legacy 2.5GT Ltd., mildly modified
Wifey: '09 Forester XT, barely modded
Baby-Anna: too short to reach any pedals!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 173.67.17.38
Old 2009-01-09
RADARB8 RADARB8 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 2008 Dec
Location: ss gestapo-land>>HOWARD CO. Md.
Posts: 5
RADARB8 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSi+WRX View Post
The C5 should be very nicely "stealth profiled," as long as you don't have your iceburg headlights up. You really shouldn't need a bra.

Certainly, a front plate would cause a tremendous PT concern, but I don't imagine that you have one?

If you are really concerned about things, go a step farther, and VEIL the exposed front-end lighting elements.

With the Blinder heads, 3M Automotive Trim/Molding tape will effectively hold them "permanently" (while still allowing for fully residue-free release, at a later date, if-desired, with no damage to the vehicle finish, provided that the vehicle finish in the mounted area and immediate surroundings were not damaged at or before the time of application, to begin with). Pay good attention to initial prep (cleaning the area, as well as with proper consideration for surface temperatures), and you'll be fine.

Shimming the heads can be achieved with any number of different methods, and is limited only by your imagination.

Remember to get the heads as level and square as you possibly can - obsession here really counts.
Why didn't i think of that. i got an entire roll left over from some Body side mouldings i attached. that stuff is great!! today and tmorrow i am going to get the blinder 25 installed. I also have the Veil!! In Md. the troopers and locals are very assiduous about NOT having the front tag attached where it is visible. in fact they want it placed in the factory position. My nephew was ticketed. it was[ only temporary ] standing up in his windshield .so i have to keep it there.But a thought just came to me. Ecklers, a popular corvette catalog co. has a hard shell transparent plastic cover that is NOT flat but contours to the shape of the car. Very similar to the original cover. I will try later to post a pic. if that is possible on the forum. Doesn't that sound better than the flat laser plastic ones??? If i veiled the plate and the cover i would think i could get the ultimate coverage, of course in conjunction with the 2 head jammer. I want to thank TSI+WRX;2636
for the excellent advice. If u or anyone have any info on the curved plastic plate cover please chime in, I'm a newbe and all ears
thanks again Greg O. [RADARB8]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 76.190.193.28
Old 2009-01-09
TSi+WRX TSi+WRX is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 2008 Sep
Location: Cleveland/Shaker Heights, Ohio, USA
Posts: 44
TSi+WRX is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADARB8 View Post
Why didn't i think of that. i got an entire roll left over from some Body side mouldings i attached. that stuff is great!!
There you go.

Quote:
I also have the Veil!! In Md. the troopers and locals are very assiduous about NOT having the front tag attached where it is visible. in fact they want it placed in the factory position. My nephew was ticketed. it was[ only temporary ] standing up in his windshield .so i have to keep it there.
In that case, definitely *do* preserve the proper placement/location for the front plate!

Where I live in Metro-Cleveland, there are areas that tend to enforce our front-plate laws - given that one of my primary concerns is simply not to be stopped in the first place, I also have a front plate on my vehicle, where it's supposed to be.

But like you're planning, I also undertake passive measures, to beef-up defenses at this most vulnerable area.....

Quote:
But a thought just came to me. Ecklers, a popular corvette catalog co. has a hard shell transparent plastic cover that is NOT flat but contours to the shape of the car. Very similar to the original cover. I will try later to post a pic. if that is possible on the forum. Doesn't that sound better than the flat laser plastic ones???
Aesthetically, I'd well bet that the contoured one looks much better than the various proprietary, flat, laser-diffusing/defeating units.

Quote:
If i veiled the plate and the cover i would think i could get the ultimate coverage....
If you can do the outside of the plate cover, I think that will be plenty of protection - get it professionally done, at a paint-shop, via their HVLP gun, and the surface finish will approximate that of your vehicle's - alternatively, wet-sanding the cover, and then using an airbrush, will also net a more "clear" look to the VEIL, instead of manual application.

Look at djrams80, a fellow hobbyist/enthusiast and VEIL user, for the former example:
Veil Professionally Done - Radar Detector Jammer Forum

^ Look at how absolutely awesome his headlights and fogs came out. (For a comparison, look at his tail-lights, which were manually applied. Look at the difference in terms of "surface" finish smoothness.)

For the latter:
VEIL test on hayabusa - Radar Detector Jammer Forum

^ sbfuller, another fellow hobbyist/enthusiast and VEIL user, utilized the wet-sanding/airbrush technique on the headlight unit of his hyperbike. Note that this method also produces a smoother and overall "glossier" finish than with a manual brush-type application.

I would be hesitant to VEIL the plate in and of itself, as the two combined may make the plate too dark to properly visualize, and that might irk enforcers. Overall, I'd say that VEIL applied to the cover, alone, would make the most difference - that, plus perhaps the use of a non-retro-reflective plate (such as a replica plate made of a non-metallic substance; but here, be careful that the replica is of sufficiently approximate graphical design as the state issue), or, alternatively, lightly scruffing the surface of the plate to make it less retro-reflective.

And honestly, no need to thank me - I'm just glad to help.


TSi+WRX's Sig:- Allen/Usual Suspect "DumboRAT"/One of the Three Stooges

LI Rev.2.8, Ver.7.03 - quad 8.0A-f w/ 8.5 Slim-r
LPP v8.3h(CAN/AU)/10.1s, 2xF/1xR
9500i, Red (4307) w/ZR3
VEIL G4
CR8APL8s, w/LaserShield(F)
Cheetah GPS-Mirror

[ Wifey's FXT -> Bue 8500x50 (Rev.5); LI Rev.2.9, Ver.7.08 - dual 8.5 ]

Me: '05 Legacy 2.5GT Ltd., mildly modified
Wifey: '09 Forester XT, barely modded
Baby-Anna: too short to reach any pedals!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)   IP: 173.67.17.38
Old 2009-01-09
RADARB8 RADARB8 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 2008 Dec
Location: ss gestapo-land>>HOWARD CO. Md.
Posts: 5
RADARB8 is on a distinguished road
Smile veil application

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSi+WRX View Post
There you go.



In that case, definitely *do* preserve the proper placement/location for the front plate!

Where I live in Metro-Cleveland, there are areas that tend to enforce our front-plate laws - given that one of my primary concerns is simply not to be stopped in the first place, I also have a front plate on my vehicle, where it's supposed to be.

But like you're planning, I also undertake passive measures, to beef-up defenses at this most vulnerable area.....



Aesthetically, I'd well bet that the contoured one looks much better than the various proprietary, flat, laser-diffusing/defeating units.



If you can do the outside of the plate cover, I think that will be plenty of protection - get it professionally done, at a paint-shop, via their HVLP gun, and the surface finish will approximate that of your vehicle's - alternatively, wet-sanding the cover, and then using an airbrush, will also net a more "clear" look to the VEIL, instead of manual application.

Look at djrams80, a fellow hobbyist/enthusiast and VEIL user, for the former example:
Veil Professionally Done - Radar Detector Jammer Forum

^ Look at how absolutely awesome his headlights and fogs came out. (For a comparison, look at his tail-lights, which were manually applied. Look at the difference in terms of "surface" finish smoothness.)

For the latter:
VEIL test on hayabusa - Radar Detector Jammer Forum

^ sbfuller, another fellow hobbyist/enthusiast and VEIL user, utilized the wet-sanding/airbrush technique on the headlight unit of his hyperbike. Note that this method also produces a smoother and overall "glossier" finish than with a manual brush-type application.

I would be hesitant to VEIL the plate in and of itself, as the two combined may make the plate too dark to properly visualize, and that might irk enforcers. Overall, I'd say that VEIL applied to the cover, alone, would make the most difference - that, plus perhaps the use of a non-retro-reflective plate (such as a replica plate made of a non-metallic substance; but here, be careful that the replica is of sufficiently approximate graphical design as the state issue), or, alternatively, lightly scruffing the surface of the plate to make it less retro-reflective.

And honestly, no need to thank me - I'm just glad to help.
WOW!!!great info
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blinder M27 & Blinder M47 X-TREME Laser Jammers Veil Guy Blinder 36 2009-07-22 00:40
New Blinder M27 and Blinder M47 Veil Guy Laser Jammers 1 2009-05-20 10:30
Pros & Cons: Rear Drive, Front Drive Or All-Wheel Drive? NMA Reporter NMA Articles 0 2009-02-14 14:07
Blinder M25 Front & Rear test! steagall1000 Laser Jammers 1 2008-09-11 16:47
Blinder M25 "J15" was tested!!! steagall1000 Video: Police Laser (LIDAR) 0 2008-06-16 18:39


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:27.


©2019 SpeedTrapHunter