Humm... This seems a little fishy to me, and I am taking this to court.... But here's what happened... Please provide me with your input.
I was riding with my wife and we were on our way to a job site in a UHAUL truck. She had just entered a municipal / business zone where the speed dropped from 45 to 35. Before she could fully drop her speed, she was tagged with a laser from Brooksville PD which they stated she was going 11 over the posted speed limit.
The officer wrote the ticket for $149 for 'Moving Violation' (NOT FOR SPEEDING).
My wife had an extension on the citation and now since it's time to pay the citation, the court house generate a letter to her telling her that the price is now $189 + $7. They are adding $7 because she elected to take the driver improvement school and they can't get her for the points it appears.
They stated that they increased it to $189 because the officer wrote the ticket for the wrong thing and wrote the wrong amount on the ticket, so they changed it to a 'Speeding Violation 10-14 miles Over' which is $189 and still making her pay the additional $7 for taking the traffic school, which has increased the total citation price from: $156 to $196 which is an increase of $40!!!
1. Does this sound like a scam to you?
2. Should my wife take this to court and fight it?
3. Isn't it unlawful for them to change a ticket once the officer has written it?
4. Can we get the officer in trouble for writing a ticket for the wrong thing?
5. Can we get the ticket dismissed because the officer wrote the ticket for the wrong thing and the court house changed it from what it was originally?
By the way... Here is the ticket pricing: Fee Schedule - Karen Nicolai - Hernando County Clerk of Circuit Court
Please write me back with the answer or suggestions about the above as soon as possible. We need to get this taken care of by paying it or setting up a court hearing date for it as soon as possible.