Speed Trap Hunter Forum: Best Radar Detectors, Laser Jammers, Laser Detectors, Speed Cameras Forum  

Go Back   Speed Trap Hunter Forum: Best Radar Detectors, Laser Jammers, Laser Detectors, Speed Cameras Forum > Speed Trap Countermeasures > Laser Jammers
Radar Detectors Forum Logon:


Laser Jammers Discussion forum related to laser jammers and laser jamming.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #26 (permalink)   IP: 72.248.78.226
Old 2008-11-10
Veil Guy's Avatar
Veil Guy Veil Guy is offline
Speed Trap Hunter
 
Join Date: 2007 Jul
Posts: 116
Veil Guy is on a distinguished road
Default

TSi+WRX,

It's all good. No, I really didn't take anything negative from your post, as I have found them all to be well-thought.

If I read your post correctly you were merely indicating the Scott had felt that I was biased--which I believe he had indicated (being a stated-loyal follower of V1s).

We are all entitled to our preferences.

Googling definition of bias, I found the following result:

a partiality that prevents objective consideration of an issue or situation

With my suggestion of what I could consider a perfect radar detector, I only considered aspects of performance that could be achieved in the near-term from a given manufacturer.

The use of arrows for providing directional information is (and has been) under patent/intellectual property of Valentine Research. So suggesting arrows in 'my perfect radar detector' is simply not feasible, because of this restriction. Acknowledging this fact doesn't make be 'biased' it only makes me respectful of reality.

Truth be told, this is really one of the underlying concerns that I have long held about laser diode-based laser jammers being sold in the U.S.

I believe Blinder, Denmark has held a patent on the construction of laser-diode laser jammers in the U.S. for some time.

While some of these other products may be legally sold in other countries, the same may not be really true in this country (which may explain why [some of] these products are being made available in the manner in which they are). Inconvenient for some, perhaps, but I believe true nonetheless.

Please forgive my tangential-reference [to the Blinder issue], but it's related in the same way. Does this make me biased towards Blinder (as some may have accused or felt on RD.NET months ago)?

At the end of the day, I have to be able to sleep at night. Maintaining a level of moral clarity on this issue, helps me to.

Veil Guy


Veil Guy's Sig:

Protect yourself from speeding tickets[/b] with the VEIL stealth coating.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)   IP: 98.17.134.242
Old 2008-11-10
steagall1000 steagall1000 is offline
Banned Indefinitely
 
Join Date: 2007 Jul
Location: Homer, Georgia
Posts: 30
steagall1000 is on a distinguished road
Default Misunderstanding

TSi+WRX,

Yeah I misunderstood what you were referring to in your post. Again my apologies. I was not trying to make enemies, although I guess after reading what I said towards you probably made you feel like biting my head off. So I did not mean to offend anyone on this forum, veil guy, Marty2288, blinder dude, and TSi+WRX. I apologize.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)   IP: 76.190.193.28
Old 2008-11-10
TSi+WRX TSi+WRX is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 2008 Sep
Location: Cleveland/Shaker Heights, Ohio, USA
Posts: 44
TSi+WRX is on a distinguished road
Default

^ No problem - it's water under the bridge.

I also feel that I should apologize for the somewhat vehement nature of my postings. When talking of speed-detections countermeasures, I do tend to get a bit heated, as I simply want the truth to stand by itself, without external biases or influences - including my own. I thus have a tendency to pursue things to minutia.

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veil Guy View Post
It's all good. No, I really didn't take anything negative from your post, as I have found them all to be well-thought.
I just didn't want to come across as being "negative" with you, or what you'd written. The imprecise nature of language, as well as the fact that I am not writing formally (and thus am typing as fast as I can think) tend to compound on each other, and as you've seen, make for errors on my part. As always, the Errornet has a way of putting a kink in human relations.

Quote:
If I read your post correctly you were merely indicating the Scott had felt that I was biased--which I believe he had indicated (being a stated-loyal follower of V1s).

We are all entitled to our preferences.

Googling definition of bias, I found the following result:

a partiality that prevents objective consideration of an issue or situation

With my suggestion of what I could consider a perfect radar detector, I only considered aspects of performance that could be achieved in the near-term from a given manufacturer.

The use of arrows for providing directional information is (and has been) under patent/intellectual property of Valentine Research. So suggesting arrows in 'my perfect radar detector' is simply not feasible, because of this restriction. Acknowledging this fact doesn't make be 'biased' it only makes me respectful of reality.
Agreed.

My personal definition of "bias" has ignored the second part of your cited reference, and similarly, also, based on the page-flipping of the dictionaries I have at-hand (we're old-fashioned, for growing up in the digital age, my wife and I both adore print media) certainly did not pay enough attention to the other notably negative connotations of the word.

I agree, it's certainly more "preference," what we're talking about - and that the bias that was spoken of in the posts prior is something else, totally.

Quote:
Truth be told, this is really one of the underlying concerns that I have long held about laser diode-based laser jammers being sold in the U.S.

I believe Blinder, Denmark has held a patent on the construction of laser-diode laser jammers in the U.S. for some time.

While some of these other products may be legally sold in other countries, the same may not be really true in this country (which may explain why [some of] these products are being made available in the manner in which they are). Inconvenient for some, perhaps, but I believe true nonetheless.

Please forgive my tangential-reference [to the Blinder issue], but it's related in the same way. Does this make me biased towards Blinder (as some may have accused or felt on RD.NET months ago)?

At the end of the day, I have to be able to sleep at night. Maintaining a level of moral clarity on this issue, helps me to.
That's a good point, and it is one that I can both agree with as well as respect.

For me, in walking the moral gray-line with this hobby already - and also perhaps because I am not involved in the business/industry aspects of the field - I am definitely more flexible the moral/ethical sense.

This has also been, in-part, why I've only rarely brought my personal preferences and biases onto the discussion tables - with the exception being, as-noted prior, when others have specifically asked that of me.

Case-in-point:

There's someone I'd consider a friend of mine, on LegacyGT.com - the BL/BP-Chassis Subaru Legacy enthusaist community that I belong to - who is always asking about the legality of certain modifications, be it the use of a radar detector or laser jammer, or putting aftermarket lighting elements into the vehicle, or performing various performance-related mechanical and engine-management modifications.

This enthusiast gets a lot of hassle from others, but he's always stuck to the straight-and-narrow, and I frankly respect him, very much, for it, and have always tried to answer his questions with regard to such concerns in as factual a manner as I can.

In the same vein, whenever someone asks me about these speed-detections countermeasures, I note, up-front, that I will only discuss the technical issues - that I don't feel that it is my place to discuss legalities or morals/ethics...nor, of-couse to impose my thoughts of such onto another individual.

At the end of the day, you're right, we have to be able to look ourselves in the mirror, and close our eyes and go to sleep.

And this, as much as anything else, should weigh-in to one's purchase decisions, when it comes to these devices, which are currently mostly gray-market (to include any and all of the laser-diode based jammers, with the exception of the Lidatek, of which the company's exact "whereabouts" is, currently, anyone's best guess, but also encompasses the Blinder/Escort design knock-offs, too).


TSi+WRX's Sig:- Allen/Usual Suspect "DumboRAT"/One of the Three Stooges

LI Rev.2.8, Ver.7.03 - quad 8.0A-f w/ 8.5 Slim-r
LPP v8.3h(CAN/AU)/10.1s, 2xF/1xR
9500i, Red (4307) w/ZR3
VEIL G4
CR8APL8s, w/LaserShield(F)
Cheetah GPS-Mirror

[ Wifey's FXT -> Bue 8500x50 (Rev.5); LI Rev.2.9, Ver.7.08 - dual 8.5 ]

Me: '05 Legacy 2.5GT Ltd., mildly modified
Wifey: '09 Forester XT, barely modded
Baby-Anna: too short to reach any pedals!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)   IP: 72.218.1.245
Old 2008-11-10
SCGT SCGT is offline
Member
 
Join Date: 2008 Nov
Posts: 12
SCGT is on a distinguished road
Cool

Wow I see this sort of stuff doesn't just happen on Mustang forums. LOL

I look at everyones info and make the decision for myself.

The reason there are so many types of detectors and jammers is because everyone has their preferences. The cheap stuff will fade away and the best stuff will live on.

I saw Djram's walkaround video and that is FAR beyond me.

I am wondering now if I get pulled w/ the lasr jammers in my front grill won't the cop know what they are???

The type that go on the license plate frame are one thing, but the heads are kinda obvious. The ones I have seen in person are all hidden 'behind' the grill, but you all said that lessens the effectiveness big time.

I think the Laser Interceptor are far from me also at $1200 for the 4 set. That's kinda steep. Especially when I'm already buying a $1100 STI Remote.


Still looking.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)   IP: 72.248.78.226
Old 2008-11-10
Veil Guy's Avatar
Veil Guy Veil Guy is offline
Speed Trap Hunter
 
Join Date: 2007 Jul
Posts: 116
Veil Guy is on a distinguished road
Default

SCGT,

Indeed, we are a passionate bunch!

In spite of all of this back-and-forth, I hope you find some information redeeming and helpful.

To be honest, if you use one or a combination of these countermeasures responsibly (meaning, if you use a laser jammer, shut if off when you know things are in the "green") then the chances of actually getting pulled-over is very very small and the officer will likely move on to the next "victim."

This idea of jamming to gun (clearly for marketing hype) is not something to be done in the real-world in as many circumstances as you can find yourself in.

Even in my traffic stops (of which I have been known to have a few), I have not had a problem. A good mounting location (ie; hidden but in plain view) can't hurt, either.

Veil Guy


Veil Guy's Sig:

Protect yourself from speeding tickets[/b] with the VEIL stealth coating.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Veil Paint: How far to go Mstaples Speeding Tickets & Traffic Citations 5 2009-01-11 11:33
Ohio Court Tosses Laser Speed Gun Readings NMA Reporter Economics & Politics 0 2008-04-30 23:14
Pro Laser II still in Service! steagall1000 Police Laser (LIDAR) Enforcement 4 2008-03-07 16:43
What Everyone Should Know About Laser Guns NMA Reporter NMA Articles 0 2008-02-28 07:50
LTI Tru Speed Police Laser Gun Veil Guy Police Laser (LIDAR) Enforcement 1 2008-01-26 14:49


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:47.


©2019 SpeedTrapHunter