View Single Post
  #17 (permalink)   IP: 24.108.24.231
Old 2009-09-17

esprit888 is on a distinguished road

Thanks again Michael, I must confess that this has become something of an obsession now, as an engineer I want to make sense of what I believe was an error. If I am overposting I apologise but I would like to locate the optimum distance (in this I also apologise to Craig, as perhaps I am searching for the answer I want ) I understand a letter is not realistic but my request would have been along the lines of the factory training guidlines, which may include such information as : 'Do not exceed XXX meters without a tripod or do not exceed XXX with other vehicles within XXX proximity'

I was able to obtain the users manual for the LTI UL LRB (2nd edition 2002) unfortunately it only gives the specifications for min & Max range(Even then its a little vague as it states an 'absolute maximum of ABOUT 1000 meters and can vary dependant upon various factors such as target') and does not indicate an optimal distance or a distance that should not be exceeded hand held (such as can be found in the 20/20 or 100 manuals) I should have saved myself a bunch of time by simply going to the bottom of this page and clicked on similar postings as there is a very informative blog copy from the NMA (sections pasted below)

‘While it’s possible to clock a target that is 2000 to 3000 feet away the speed reading is of dubious accuracy and highly prone to error. On a clear day with no other traffic in sight a good laser operator can obtain reasonably accurate readings out to 1200, perhaps 1500 feet. However, if there are other vehicles present those distances should be halved.’

‘Remember, at distances in excess of 700-800 feet the laser beam is easily large enough to not only be reflecting off of different parts of the target vehicle (which are simultaneously different distances from the laser gun), but also off of other vehicles, some traveling at different speeds. At distances in excess of 800 feet, the laser operator has no way of knowing what vehicle surfaces or entire vehicles are responsible for the laser speed readings, especially if other vehicles fall within the scope of the laser beam.’

‘A vehicle without a front license plate and a low sloping hood, think Corvette, has to be much closer before a good laser reading can be made. However, at distances in excess of 800-900 feet the license plate is indistinguishable from the car as a whole and the laser beam is washing over the entire vehicle.’

‘In an honest courtroom, any laser reading in excess of 800 feet would not be accepted for evidentiary purposes. The State of New Jersey has set the limit at 1000 feet, which is a step in the right direction. The rest of the country is oblivious to the limitations of this technology, with judges and legislators believing the propaganda, instead of exercising the caution and judgment we have entrusted them to exercise on our behalf.’