View Single Post
  #5 (permalink)   IP: 41.208.50.160
Old 2009-06-26

Streaker is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the response guys. To answer some of your questions.

Most trapping is done from ground level and from the rear in my area. However once out on the long 'interstates' from the front becomes more reqular. Seldom from overpasses or highway onramps (have seen this tactic used though). From the rear is photo and from the front usually spot fines.

Currently in South Africa the demerit points isn't in place yet, only on trial. The officer said it was a R10 000 fine per jammer and said said he would fine me three times that because the jammer had three transponders. (he called each transponder a jammer)However the local laws do not forbid the owning of a jammer. They do try get you with obstruction of justice though. (hard to prove when the jammer doesn't work)

A few years back when the Lasertec pro 20 was new I fitted one to my 96 328I in plain sight, because at that stage the officers around here had never heard of jammers. I stopped one day at a trap and offered to buy the officers cold drinks if they would do a speedo calibration check with me. The officer tried both front and rear (single transponder at rear dual in front) to no avail. Once I asked him what my speed was he said he couldn't get a reading at all. While drinking the said cold drink with him he told me he was actually the instructor showing the rookies how to use the laser.

Most prevailing guns in South Africa tend to be pro laser 2 and 3. Have seen ultralytes, but not as common.