View Single Post
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 129.22.227.193
Old 2009-05-15

TSi+WRX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Trap Hunter View Post
It is my understanding that one should leave about 1 car length for every 10mph. I have had knuckleheads get so close at high-speed (and I am not talking about a little friendly drafting) I am talking recklessly close that I have decided that it's best in the long-run to slow-down, get in the right lane, or in sometimes exit to allow them time to run-alone away (from you).
+1.

That's my rule-of-thumb as well - to maintain distance (my understanding is also that it should be 1 car length for every 10 MPH, and that, furthermore, it is so only under "optimal/clear" conditions) that's not just a courtesy to the driver in front, but to make sure that both of us are safe, too. I've run into packs which got too aggressive, and I have removed myself from such. I've also participated in packs - again spontaneous meetings of common minds - which are so organized that when a newcomer joins and becomes too aggressive, the pack simply "rejects" said individual. Indeed, following too-closely is a big danger to all.

In the end, it comes back to the "one minute lost, one hour gained" rule - it's often best to just disengage.

Quote:
.....that I hope as I bring them online, will further help our collective small community of driving enthusiasts in positive ways.
+1.

TSi+WRX's Sig:- Allen/Usual Suspect "DumboRAT"/One of the Three Stooges

LI Rev.2.8, Ver.7.03 - quad 8.0A-f w/ 8.5 Slim-r
LPP v8.3h(CAN/AU)/10.1s, 2xF/1xR
9500i, Red (4307) w/ZR3
VEIL G4
CR8APL8s, w/LaserShield(F)
Cheetah GPS-Mirror

[ Wifey's FXT -> Bue 8500x50 (Rev.5); LI Rev.2.9, Ver.7.08 - dual 8.5 ]

Me: '05 Legacy 2.5GT Ltd., mildly modified
Wifey: '09 Forester XT, barely modded
Baby-Anna: too short to reach any pedals!

Last edited by TSi+WRX; 2009-05-15 at 14:09.