Thread: K40 Problems
View Single Post
  #18 (permalink)   IP: 192.168.2.1
Old 2009-04-12
Speed Trap Hunter

Veil Guy is on a distinguished road

Allen,

To clarify, I did not say that one should get used to it, I merely stated that one inevitably does get used to it (as you yourself just indicated, that you can essentially predict when such things may happen).

This is really much like the situation one has when driving with a sensitive (and less heavily filtered) V1. After a short time, it's pretty easy to discern the difference between a genuine X and K source versus a door opener.

...And while I agree with your assessment of new driver enhancement technology (at least in theory) I have been concerned about its actual execution. For instance, using 24.1Ghz transponders for ACC/LD systems (for cost savings) creates the very dangers that these systems purport to mitigate (by creating interference to drivers of RDs) potentially creating the very hazards they're designed to eliminate. The same goes for LIDAR-based systems. Better to have the frequency of K band sufficiently moved out of the way of RD reception tolerances or using 77 Ghz systems like Mercedes Distronic systems (but, they're more expensive to produce than cheap 24Ghz K-band transponders).

The other concern I have about these systems is that they have the potential to allow for further driver disconnectiveness from actually driving. Sure ABS/ADS systems have a place, but (I'm sure you'd agree) these systems shouldn't be a substitute for good driver skill/attentiveness () and could these systems facilitate the further decline/erosion of drivers abilities/attentiveness? Has the use of the calculator undermined many people's ability to actually do math in their heads? I suppose so...

We could learn a thing or two from our Finnish friends (courtesy of the best darn show on the tele:TopGear)

A simplier approach may be just to eliminate/reduce multi-media enhanced iDrive-like systems (for key functions) and staying off the darn cell phone while driving.

Please forgive my straying a bit off topic, with my philosophical .

Veil Guy

Veil Guy's Sig:

Protect yourself from speeding tickets[/b] with the VEIL stealth coating.