View Single Post
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 192.168.1.1
Old 2008-07-12
Speed Trap Hunter

Veil Guy is on a distinguished road
Default Our Gas Prices are Still too CHEAP

Another recent political stunt (that I believed Obama had the courage to call it for what it was) was the suggestion of the elimination of the federal gas tax: a pittance of approximately $0.18USD/gallon—a measure that was being promoted by McCain and supported by HC.

My suggestion, instead of eliminating it (and jeopardizing our transportation working force in the process), increase it.

Then use the additional revenue to exclusively invest in improving transportation alternatives in this country. I'd love to be able to take a high-speed bullet-train or maglev in this country, the technology has been around at least 30 years and what have we done in this time to invest in rail?

In my opinion, "high" gas prices are a good thing and, in and of themselves, encourage corrective and more responsible behavior both individually and collectively: Keep in mind that our country represents 4% of the world population, yet we consume 25% of the world's fuel resources!

Let's let the free market system efficiently devise innovative and responsible long-term solutions to our energy needs.

In the final analysis, our gas prices are still cheap, relative to others:

CNN/Money: Global gas prices

Perhaps this is asking too much of our politicians and media to treat this national (global) challenge intelligently given that it's likely much easier and politically expedient to punish "speeders." If 55 truly saves lives, then 45 would save more, and 35 would save even more...Hell, why not do away with all vehicles and speed and we can all walk to work. Wouldn't that save the most lives? (Except for the overweight and out-of-shape people (most of us) who would suffer heart-attacks from actually being forced to do some sort of physical exercise).

Here's another fuel saving idea: How about all of these wealthy politicians stop flying private jets, to and from their lobbyist-paid-for-junkets and work and back, and actually fly public transportation like the rest of us working folk?

I know, I know, that IS asking them to make too much of a sacrifice, isn't it.

You guys really want to encourage the saving of fuel?

Then, LEAD by EXAMPLE and fly commercially!

Veil Guy

Veil Guy's Sig:

Protect yourself from speeding tickets[/b] with the VEIL stealth coating.